- Petone to Waterloo and the Gracefield Branch where we have added 1938 historical content, particularly around Petone-Melling and Seaview. There were some surveys done in 1938 which are at scales varying from 1:6000 to 1:10000 which is quite high for that era – most of what we can get for the period around the country tends to be around 1:16000. So that enables good quality maps for the era.
- Waterloo to Haywards where larger scale 1938 surveys again were used to get all the way up the western route to Belmont Quarry (the last station before Haywards) and on the current route to Taita. Smaller scale coverage completes what is needed for this set of maps so that both routes are completely covered.
- Haywards to Upper Hutt where some 1963 coverage was found for the Upper Hutt station.
- Upper Hutt to Featherston where 1941 coverage of Summit and Cross Creek was added to the existing maps which as we mentioned in a previous post we didn’t have coverage of previously while the line was open. With other bits and pieces we now have better coverage of the original route over the Rimutakas quite well, including Maymorn during the deviation construction era when it was the work camp site.
- We haven’t got around to enquiring about the 1951 survey of the Hutt Valley and Rimutakas that is
currently unavailable in Retrolens, but have been able to use some
historic maps that we were able to download from another source. Also
there is some 1957 coverage of parts of the area such as Maymorn which
was still very much like the construction era in appearance, and Speedys
Crossing near Featherston.
places where connections between old and new routes were maintained for construction access during
the deviation contract and remained as such for several years afterwards
until the original line was completely dismantled. Having two connections was necessary because the centre rail of the Rimutaka Incline and the old small section tunnels imposed loading gauge restrictions for modern rolling stock. Most of the actual construction supplies and equipment needing to be sent by rail during deviation construction was sent from Wellington through the connection at Maymorn. After the deviation was opened, with the much greater ease of access to Featherston, the connection at Speedys Crossing was used more. Both connections are shown on 1955 and 1957 S&I diagrams, the one at Speedys Crossing came off the main line with its own switchlock and at the time the diagram
So these areas are practically complete and extraction is being prioritised along with the completion of the Featherston-Masterton / Greytown project and resolving any issues that have been discovered when tiles are extracted from the mosaic projects.